Unwanted calls and messages can be a major source of frustration and annoyance for Android phone users. Not only can they interrupt important moments, but they can also be a threat to privacy and security. Thankfully, there are several methods available to block unwanted calls and messages on Android phones.
How to Block Unwanted Calls and Messages
In this guide, we will explore in detail the different methods you can use to block unwanted calls and messages and keep your phone free from spam and telemarketers.
Method 1: Block Calls and Messages Using the Built-in Android Phone App
The built-in phone app on most Android phones provides a basic but effective method of blocking unwanted calls and messages. The app allows you to block specific numbers, which can be especially useful if you receive repeated calls or messages from a single number. To use the built-in phone app to block unwanted calls and messages, follow these steps:
- Open the phone app on your Android phone.
- Tap on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Tap on “Block numbers” or “Blocked numbers”.
- Select “Add a number” and enter the phone number you want to block.
- Tap on “Block” to confirm.
This method is simple and effective, but it only works for blocking specific numbers. If you receive spam calls or messages from different numbers, this method may not be enough.
Method 2: Use a Third-Party App to Block Unwanted Calls and Messages
There are several third-party apps available on the Google Play Store that can help you block unwanted calls and messages. One such app is “Truecaller”. Truecaller is a popular app that can identify and block spam calls and messages. To use Truecaller to block unwanted calls and messages, follow these steps:
- Download and install Truecaller from the Google Play Store.
- Open Truecaller and sign up for an account.
- Grant the app permission to access your contacts and messages.
- Tap on the “Block” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Block calls” or “Block messages”.
- Choose the type of numbers you want to block (e.g., spam, telemarketers, etc.).
- Tap on “Add” to add a number to the block list.
Truecaller is just one example of a third-party app that can help you block unwanted calls and messages. There are many other apps available on the Google Play Store, so be sure to do your research and find the one that works best for you. Some other popular options include Call Blocker, Mr. Number, and Hiya.
Method 3: Block Calls and Messages Using Your Carrier’s Services
Most mobile carriers offer services that allow you to block calls and messages. These services are usually included in your mobile plan, but you may need to activate them. To block calls and messages using your carrier’s services, follow these steps:
- Contact your mobile carrier and ask about their call and message-blocking services.
- If the service is included in your plan, ask the representative to activate it for you.
- Once the service is activated, you can usually manage it through your carrier’s website or mobile app.
- Follow the instructions provided by your carrier to block unwanted calls and messages.
Blocking calls and messages using your carrier’s services can be an effective solution, but it may not be available for all carriers. Be sure to check with your carrier to see if this option is available.
Method 4: Use Do Not Disturb Mode to Block Calls and Messages
Another option for blocking unwanted calls and messages is to use the Do Not Disturb mode on your Android phone. This mode allows you to silence calls and notifications, which can be
useful if you want to avoid distractions or unwanted interruptions. To use the Do Not Disturb mode to block calls and messages, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your Android phone.
- Tap on “Sound and vibration”.
- Select “Do Not Disturb”.
- Choose “Total silence” or “Priority only” mode, depending on your preferences.
- Customize the settings to allow calls and messages from certain contacts or allow specific types of notifications.
Using Do Not Disturb mode can be a great option for blocking unwanted calls and messages while still allowing important calls and messages to come through. You can customize the settings to suit your needs and preferences, making it a flexible and versatile solution.
Method 5: Create a Custom Contact for Unwanted Calls and Messages
If you receive unwanted calls and messages from a number that you do not want to block completely, you can create a custom contact for that number. This allows you to set a custom ringtone or notification tone for that contact, which can alert you to the call or message without interrupting you unnecessarily. To create a custom contact for unwanted calls and messages, follow these steps:
- Open the Contacts app on your Android phone.
- Tap on the “+” or “Add contact” button.
- Enter the name and phone number of the unwanted contact.
- Customize the contact by adding a custom ringtone or notification tone.
- Save the contact.
This method allows you to distinguish unwanted calls and messages from important ones without having to block the number completely. You can still receive calls and messages from the contact, but they will be less intrusive and easier to ignore.
Unwanted calls and messages can be a nuisance, but with the right tools, you can easily block them on your Android phone. Whether you use the built-in phone app, a third-party app, or your carrier’s services, blocking unwanted calls and messages is a simple process that can help keep your phone free from spam and telemarketers. Try out the different methods and find the one that works best for you.
Leave a Comment